David J. Illingworth
David J. Illingworth joined the Varian board in August 2011.
Mr. Illingworth has had a long career in the medical technology sector in sales, operations, and general management roles based in the U.S., the U.K., and Asia. Most recently, from 2007 to 2011, he served as Chief Executive Officer at Smith & Nephew, an orthopedic devices company with annual revenues of $4.0 billion. Mr. Illingworth previously held a variety of executive positions including:
- chief operating officer and division president at Smith & Nephew (2002-2007)
- president and chief operating officer at XL Vision (2000-2002)
- chairman, president, chief executive officer, and executive chairman at VidaMed (1998-2000)
- vice president, executive vice president, and business unit president at Nellcor Puritan Bennett (1993-1998)
- managing director, GE Medical Asia and general manager, western region, GE Medical Systems (1978-1992)